Wednesday, July 11, 2007

HP5 OOTP Review

Wow. Wow. That's all I can say. Since we went to the midnight show in a town 1/2 hour away, we're totally exhausted, but I definitely think it was worth it. There were a few things that we were disappointed with: the loss of Kreacher as the bad guy, absence of the Quibbler interview, and the odd stance on Occlumency which made it seem more like an attack than portrayed in the book. The fight scenes, the special effects in the room of requirement and the hall of propechy, as well as the fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort were fabulous! The casting for new characters was amazing. Luna Lovegood's tone of voice, odd comments and manic look after she'd been thumped by a Death Eater was priceless. She flew on a thestral like she was enjoying herself immensely. Umbridge's manner became more sinister as time went on, her pink suits were horrible and I dread hearing the kittens on those awful plates mewing anymore, and Bellatrix was scary good. Sirius' death was handled almost carefully and politely-muted sobbing and then revenge. Also quite a few things made it into the movie that made me thump my husband because I knew they were coming: Harry and Cho talking about nargles in mistletoe, Dumbledore providing Harry's defense and using his full name (about 7 names long) to do so, and Hermione telling Ron that he had the emotional range of a teaspoon. Classic! Harry almost seemed like he was descending into madness, and the general nature of Voldemort influencing him and possessing him at the ministry was a little over the top. But I suppose it made good film. There were quite a few things I could even fathom, but I will say this, the 2 hour film seemed like nothing. I was so interested in what would happen next that I didnt notice time going by, and I wasnt even tired until we got outside in the truck and I could see what time it was. We are going to see it again this weekend with my little sis-in-law, which we've done for every movie since they began coming out, so I'll let you know if my thoughts change on anything.

No comments: