Thursday, June 12, 2008

Iowa, land of... water?

We have our own beaches in Iowa, the thing is, you can't ever tell where they're going to be from one hour to the next downtown CR is flooding, library is all but the roofline underwater, my temp agency is under water, our PD is under water and calls are being rerouted to the suburbs, and as soon as a shelter opens, they have to close again because a "creek" turns into a river.

Got kicked out of work today, and not sure what to do about tomorrow. I have a phone number to call in and check and see what's going on, but not sure if it will give me any info. My supervisor may or may not be there (that's helpful). I have no way of knowing unless I show up if anyone else will be there. We carpool. That's not real great.

The water is swirling, but it's overtaking our sewer systems and water plants so we're all supposed to conserve water. Which means I can't do laundry or dishes or anything. What's the point of staying home and not being paid if you can't do anything?

Not that any of this is important, but the devastation is just too much. Turn on the Today Show or MSNBC and you'll see what I mean. We have 24 hour coverage here. It's unbelievable.

No comments: