Thursday, October 25, 2007

For young readers...

Please note that I ONLY listed books that I read and re-read as a kid/pre-teen/teen/adult and loved every time. Maybe you'll find a new favorite to read to your kids here too. I might add I just found out I have a young person lurking here too, so feel free to grab a title and read away! - Oh and this is not a complete list. By the way.

Madeleine L'Engle - Time Series (A Wrinkle in Time; A Wind in the Door; Many Waters; A Swiftly Tilting Planet) and others...
Walter Farley - Black Stallion series
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter series
S.E. Hinton - The Outsiders; Tex
Wilson Rawls - Where the Red Fern Grows
Frances Hodgson Burnett - The Secret Garden
Katherine Paterson - Bridge to Terabithia
C. S. Lewis - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Roald Dahl - The BFG; The Witches; James and the Giant Peach
Beverly Cleary - The Mouse and the Motorcycle; Ramona and Her Mother
Judy Blume - Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing; Super Fudge; The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo; Freckle Juice; Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great

6 comments:

Beccy said...

I loved the whole Lion, Witch and Wardrobe series, I reread them loads.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I love love LOVE The BFG! I had just finished reading it when my grandparents got me a kitty for Christmas. The pet shop told them it was a girl, so I named it Sophie! Just like in the book. :) Anyway, when we took "Sophie" to the vet for a check up they said "um...why is this cat's name Sophie?". I thought they just didn't like the name, but turns out? Not a girl! Whoops!

Unknown said...

I'd have to say The Secret Garden was my favorite growing up. And I loved the movie too. We had to read Bridge to Terabithia in middle school, it made me cry, but I still loved it. Good suggestions!

Pamela said...

that young person must be me. I'm thinking about a 2nd childhood (:

Those books are great for all of us, tho. wonderful list

Unknown said...

I reread the whole Lewis series when LWW came out. I will again when the next movie comes out. I love them. Where the Red Fern Grows still makes me cry.

Jenni said...

I think I read the entire Black Stallion series and most of the Nancy Drew series when I was a kid. I remember loving The Outsiders, bawling over Where the Red Fern Grows (and then re-reading it), and The Secret Garden was a favorite, too. The My Side of the Mountain books are some I missed as a kid but loved as an adult (reading to my kids) as is Summer of the Monkeys (Rawls). Another book I loved as a kid was Where the Lilies Bloom.