Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Basic Pantry Staples ed. 19 & 20

Edition 19 Vanilla and 20 Cocoa powder

Did you wonder when I'd ever get to chocolate? Well here goes! Vanilla extract is a fabulous ingredient to have in your pantry. It's used in almost every cookie or baking mix. I get mine from the Watkins dealer, or rather, my mom does (it's not like drugs, really!) but Watkins is kind of like Tupperware, there are only certain dealers, and since I move so much and she stays put, she'd always have the same dealer and I wouldnt. Plus, I only use a bottle every 2-3 years, as I bake less than she does.

And cocoa powder. This I use in cookies, frosting, basically anything you want to chocolate-up. Recently I've used it to add to an angel food cake mix to make it "chocolate" angel food cake. My husband sure likes that. Today I'm adding a frosting recipe for you. It's taken directly out of the "Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book" and its a must for someone trying to please a chocolate lover, whether that be yourself or someone in your household.

Ed.19-20 Recipe
No-Cook Fudge Frosting

4 3/4 C powdered sugar (it says sifted, but i never do)
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
1/3 C boiling water
1 t vanilla

Combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add butter, boiling water, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Cool for 20 to 30 minutes or till mixture reaches spreading consistency. This frosts the tops and sides of 2 (8 or 9 inch) cakes layers*

*or the top and sides of a 9x13 or 24 cupcakes, basically anything you can make out of a boxed cake mix.

1 comment:

Debs said...

This looks soooooo good. I need to bake a cake. *LOL*