Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Basic Pantry Staples ed. 6

Edition 6-Powdered Sugar

I always keep powdered sugar on hand - mostly because if you want to make icing, well then you have the main ingredient. Pretty much no matter what icing I've made, they all call for powdered sugar. You could use it in a pinch if you dont have either white or brown sugar (to substitute one for the other) but I still recommend having both of the others...

Ed.6 Recipe
Chocolate Drink Mix

2.54 lb CANISTER Nestle's Quik
8 Qt Box Carnation Milk
11 oz Coffee Mate
1 C powdered sugar

Mix ingredients and store in airtight container. Use 1/2 C mix to 1 large mug of hot water.

They have changed the size of the Quik container again since last year. You could buy 2 small boxes at 1 lb 5 oz and use them, or buy the big canister, I am going to use all of the big canister. The coffee mate will either be 16 or 8 oz. Take your pick, you could use either the big one and dump it all in, or save the rest for your coffee (or visitors coffee), or you could use the entire smaller jar, I dont think it will hurt anything. I got non fat coffee mate (the quik and powdered milk are already non fat) And a cup of powdered sugar is plenty. Like I said, it's not very sugary and with marshmallows on the top, it's a win-win. Let your kids watch you dump the mix in the HOT water and see it disappear. It bubbles really cool. Stir it up and add marshmallows. I'd be interested to know how long the mix lasts for anyone else. My hubby read my blog and started in wanting some more last night. And he mentioned buying ingredients to make more was a good idea -doh! Guess that will go on my shopping list for next week. Oh, and 1/2 C is a VERY chocolately mix - I use an 1/8 C measuring cup (leave it in the container) and use it about twice for mine and more for hubby's cups. Use a couple and stir it -use the spoon to taste it, see how you like it, add more if you want. It's all about taste, and the good thing is that you control how chocolately it is!

No comments: