Sunday, November 4, 2007

Basic Pantry Staples ed. 4

Edition 4 - Cream of... soups

Cream of... soups are great to have on hand. Whether it be chicken, mushroom, chicken and mushroom, celery, etc. they can make a quick and easy gravy or provide the basis for a casserole. I like the 99% fat free kind. There is a particular name brand, which I'm sure you're all familiar with. m m good. They have a website full of recipes using the cream of soups, tomato soup, etc and whatever you have in the cabinet. An easy way to pick out your meal for the night. I personally like using them in casseroles. I generally keep 3 varieties on hand, chicken, mushroom, chicken and mushroom. We have a particular recipe that calls for the c&m one, but I'm not giving you that today. Today I'm giving you...

Ed.4 Recipe
Hamburger Stroganoff

1/2 C minced onion
1 clove/teaspoon garlic minced
1/4 C butter
1 lb ground beef
2 T flour
2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 4oz can of mushrooms, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup*
1 C sour cream
cooked noodles

Saute onion and garlic in butter until tender; add beef and brown. Add flour, salt, pepper, and mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes. Add soup; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream and heat through. Serve over hot noodles.

*the first time I made this I used cream of chicken. It was fine. So you can substitute the different cream of soups for one another if you dont have one in particular on hand.

No comments: